Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mountain Hiking

I am now reading a book called 'Peak'. It's about a boy named Peak, who gets caught climbing a skyscraper. The trouble starts there. He goes to Juvenile, and a boy who read about him tries to climb a wall but falls off and dies. Peak is in hot water. Uh-oh...then Peak's dad, Josh, whisks him away to Kathmandu and gives Peak a chance to hike Everest. That's all I'll say for now. But it's a really good book, so I am on the waiting list for the book in the Library. I wonder how I'll feel, hiking? I have never really hiked on a mountain before. Well, at least not properly with gears, eight-hours-a-day hike like Peak. The longest I've hiked was about 2-3 hours? I was tired, tired, tired then. So I guess I wouldn't be able to reach the summit of mountains, like Peak. But if I'd given the chance, that'd be great, I guess. Exhausting, yes but it would be so cool! Hiking boots and clothes, cooking your own meals, sleeping in a tent, hiking, reaching the summit! Although climbing now sort of creeps me out, because you gotta have great lung capacity and stuff, and as you get up, you get oxygen issues and I hate oxygen issues. I can barely hold my breath under the water for 30 seconds. And especially that sickness Peak mentioned, how your lungs get filled with fluid and you die if you hike too fast. Ugh. Imagine dying while hiking. Nora has gone trekking in Nepal, and it seemed cool. But another problem that probably will bug me is the bathroom. There are no proper bathrooms while hiking! And even if there is, it's dirty and not-so-clean. And it's probably made with trees and holes and stuff. I hate dirty toilets. And how about taking a shower? You probably cannot take a shower while hiking! Nora trekked for 6 days. But she had a shower. I guess Peak doesn't. Ew. Sweating, sweating, sweating, and then no shower. Blecchhh. So...I guess I'm not a hiking person. Even it would be cool. I think I'm more like a lie-on-the-couch-with-a bag of Lays-with-hot shower-and Wi-Fi and T.V person. Oh well.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Too cute...you were looking good, HJC, until the end when you admitted to the couch, chips and wifi. Oh, yes, plus the toilet and shower. Nice post. :-)

mh