Monday, October 26, 2009

Personal Narrative


01/10/09

FRACTURING MY WRIST

I was halfway down the covered area at PIE, looking around. It was in the early morning, and my class was playing some games. Nobody was running after me. I started running again and picked up speed. I was almost there, when…BAM!

Suddenly everything was dark-my eyes had closed instinctively. I couldn’t see a thing. What was happening? I knew this was my class was playing octopus, and I heard the ‘it’ calling “Octopus!” The last thing I saw was somebody running in front of me...I must’ve collided with the person in front of me. But there was no pain-for a little while, anyway. I was numb from the sudden impact, so I couldn’t feel anything. My brain froze in panic. This was like a blackout. All pitch black, and you couldn’t really see or feel anything. It was such a short period of time, but it felt like forever for me. I couldn’t feel anything at first, but as time passed, I felt myself doing something like a somersault on the rough floor.

After I was sure that I was safely on the ground without moving, I fluttered open my eyelids, to feel breaking agony along my left wrist. It was like a giant stone was pressing down and somebody twisting it around and smashing their fists on my wrists. It hurt so much. I looked down at myself, to see bright red blood oozing out of my knees and pinky, obviously scraped on the floor. It hurt like crazy. I started crying and I couldn’t stop. Mr. Barakat, my 4th grade teacher asked my friends to help me to the nurse. She gave me some ice packs and bandages, but my wrists were still throbbing with pain.

After lunch, I was in Bahasa class, searching for my folder in the basket. I was kneeling, sifting through folders after folders. My wrist was still treated carefully. I spotted my folder, when somebody pushed me. I toppled over, my wrist banging on the carpet. The pain was overwhelming.

After school, my mom and I drove over to the hospital, and got my X-Ray taken. While I was waiting, I hoped it was nothing like broken bones, where pain was involved to fix it. I was lucky…sort of. The doctor said I had fractured my wrist. I was so relieved and was taken aback at the same time. I never thought of my wrist was actually damaged enough for a cast or something like that. But I was so relieved that all I had to get was a simple little cast.

No comments: